Magic: Preliminary Pro Tour Qualifier - Dominaria
Magic the Gathering: Preliminary Pro Tour Qualifer Dominaria
What Happens Here?
Preliminary Pro Tour Qualifiers (PPTQs) are in-store events available to all Advanced level and above WPN stores, which are the first step for players on the path to the Pro Tour.
The winner of a Preliminary PTQ earns an invitation to a Regional PTQ, where players make their final bid for a spot on the Pro Tour.
What Is The Format?
This tournament will be a Standard format.
Tournament structure is modified Swiss-style, with top players after the Swiss rounds playing in a single-elimination playoff for prizes and invitation(s).
The swiss rounds will be 50 minutes per round.
The first round will start at 3:00 pm. Day-of registration opens at 10:00 am.
The number of swiss rounds and the number of players who may advance to the final rounds will be based on attendance according to the following chart:
|8||3 (single elimination)||None|
|17 - 32||5||Top 8|
|33 - 64||6||Top 8|
|65 - 128||7||Top 8|
|129 - 226||8||Top 8|
|227 - 409||9||Top 8|
|410 or higher||10||Top 8|
- All players may participate in all Swiss rounds.The structure for Preliminary Pro Tour Qualifiers is modified Swiss-style, with top players after the Swiss rounds playing in a single-elimination playoff.
The structure for Preliminary Pro Tour Qualifiers is modified Swiss-style, with top players after the Swiss rounds playing in a single-elimination playoff.
- Playoff matches will be best 2 of 3.
- Playoff matches will be single-elimination.
- While there are no time limits in the playoff rounds, players are expected to play at a reasonable pace and finish their matches within 60 minutes.
- Standings after the Swiss rounds will be used to determine final order in the standings for losing players in the quarterfinal and semifinal playoff rounds.
- For the first game of each match in the playoff, the player that finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each playoff match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game).
What Is The Entry Fee?
The entry fee for this event is $25.
What Are The Prizes?
The winner of each event will receive an invitation to compete in one of the Regional Pro Tour Qualifiers tied to Pro Tour Dominaria.
Additional prizes will be awarded in the form of store credit and will be based on attendance. Players also earn 4x Plainswalker Points at this event.
What Do I Need To Bring?
Players must bring pen, paper, a Standard deck, card sleeves, and appropriate counters. Every player will need a DCI Membership number.
Don't have a DCI number? Not a problem, we can set you up with one in store (just ask anyone at the counter.) or they will be available at the event.
What Is Magic: The Gathering?
Magic: The Gathering (MTG; also known as Magic) is an early trading card game, created by Richard Garfield and introduced in 1993 by Wizards of the Coast. Magic can be played by two or more players each using a deck of printed cards or a deck of virtual cards through the Internet-based Magic: The Gathering Online or third-party programs.
Each game represents a battle between mighty wizards, known as "planeswalkers", who employ spells, items, and creatures depicted on individual Magic cards to defeat their opponents. Although the original concept of the game drew heavily from the motifs of traditional fantasy role-playing games , the gameplay of Magic bears little similarity to pencil-and-paper adventure games, while having substantially more cards and more complex rules than many other classic card games.